Saturday, November 17, 2007

this is a few days old

Quick post in the midst of working. So Ban Ki-Moon went to Antarctica this week to look at evidence of climate change, which is great. Of course since everyone seems to ignore the UN these days I wonder how much impact it will actually have.

However, I was struck by this statement he made during his trip:
 "Again, I was told by the scientist that entire western Antarctica
is now floating. This is one fifth of...the size of this total
continent. If it breaks up, the sea level may rise as much as
6 metres. 18
feet. This is very alarming."

Very alarming!? Holy fucking shit! A GLOBAL increase of 18 FEET!?
That would mean that my apartment in Harlem would be almost
on the
water! Imagine how many people would be displaced if
something
like that happened WORLDWIDE. Will it take a
cataclysmic event like
that to get our heads out of our asses and
do something about this?
I mean, I recycle, I take transit, I pay
extra for "green" electricity...
there's only so much I can do to stop
this. Our governments have the
gall to snub even the tiniest
proposals for cutting greenhouse emissions
while things like this
wait in the wings.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear you Mike. It's endlessly frustrating the lack of foresight by so many leaders.

3:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You cunts

11:03 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Dereck, if that actually happened your home town would be a tree sticking out of the water...which I know might be an improvement, but still! :)

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home