Wednesday, December 26, 2007

In lieu of all that updating I should have done...

1. What did you do in 2007 that you'd never done before?
I rode the Wonder Wheel.
I rented an apartment of my own.
I designed an off-off-broadway show, and I designed a mainstage show at school.

2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn't have any. This year it might be the old standby: Get in better shape. Take that to mean what you will ("shape up, you bastard!").

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Not yet! This June, I believe...Rachael? :)

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Larisa. Such a terrible waste; she is deeply missed by many.

5. What countries did you visit?
USA, Canada.

6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?
Stability.

7. What date from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
The day I came home and Caitlin had moved out. I opened the door and it was like someone punched me in the stomach. I just stood in the doorway and started crying.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Finishing half of my degree! Holy crap.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Hard to say.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I hurt my arm (exercising), and my back (living). Getting old, I guess.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
The most useful was my electric eraser, hands down.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Instead of pepper spray, you mean? How about the New Orleans protesters who were attacked by police while trying to save their homes? More on that here.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
I'll give you three guesses.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Tuition, followed by rent as a close second.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
A girl named Sara.
Bad Religion in NYC.
Kid Koala on a boat!

16. What song will always remind you of 2007?
"Sun in an Empty Room" by the Weakerthans

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? Generally sadder, but getting better.
ii. thinner or fatter? About the same.
iii. richer or poorer? In terms of knowledge and experience, much richer. In terms of my bankbook, much poorer.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Painting.
Languages (French, Russian).
Paying designs.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Electrics calls (though not many!)
Procrastinating.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?
I spent xmas watching DVDs and drinking. It was great.

21. Did you fall in love in 2007?
No. Maybe. We'll see.

22. How many one-night stands?
None.

23. What was your favorite TV program?
I don't have a TV, but I guess Battlestar Galactica? Maybe Big Love.

24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
No.

25. What was the best book you read?
Art and Physics, by Leonard Shlain.

26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
MC Lars.
Wilco.
Dynomite D.
Rediscovering Joe Strummer and Geoff Berner.

27. What did you want and get?
A great summer internship experience. That continues to pay off, it seems.

28. What did you want and not get?
Stability.

29. What was your favorite film of this year?
300. Just kidding. I actually didn't get out to the movies much this year. Was A History of Violence 2007? I really enjoyed that film. Across the Universe was good...

30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned older, and to celebrate I went out drinking with a large number of people who were younger than me. It was fun, and I was fall-down drunk...

31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Being able to keep the apartment I'd lived in for the year previous.

32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007?
Cleaning up. More buttoned shirts, some smart-ish pants, nicer jeans. To be continued...

33. What kept you sane?
The shrink I started seeing.

34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Umm...I don't know. Claire Danes is a good standby.

35. What political issue stirred you the most?
The US government's continued thinly-veiled attempts to shore up their own power in the world in the name of peace and goodwill. Hypocritical motherfuckers. I hope writing that doesn't get me thrown in some black site somewhere.

36. Who did you miss?
Caitlin.
Larisa.

37. Who was the best new person you met?
Hard to say, there are a lot. Probably the lovely Jen Cramm.

38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007.
It will all get done. You can get it all done. It may not be perfect, but you can get it all done.

39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"Why, why can't I draw right up to what I want to say?
Why can't I ever stop where I want to stay?"

Happy 2008, everyone...maybe I'll wave from Times Sq on New Year's Eve...

7 Comments:

Blogger Mel said...

Hey muffin, sorry to see you had a shitty year too (in some aspects). I know things will be better for you soon...honestly, I think the biggest step in getting over shittiness is recognizing the shittiness. A lot of people don't realize why they're sad about something, but as GI Joe always says "Knowing is half the battle". (then of course comes the being thankful for who you are as a person and the people that care about you...and you're def a great person and should be very proud of that).
Anyhoo...before I get overly sappy, happy Xmas and New Year's and all that...and get your ass back here for a visit!!!
Love, Melissa
(Yeah, Dereck was writing evil things in your blog whilst at my house so now I'm a stalker...err, reader)

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The babe's official due date is July 7th, though that's a vague guess, so it could be anywhere around there. I should do one of these memes as well, there's been quite a few startling firsts in the past year!

That's quite a year you've had, young man. Sounds like it's headed uphill from here, bound for Awesometown.

Happy New Year, and talk to you soon

Rachael

8:01 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Mel: Thanks for the comment! I knew once Dereck found my blog the rest of Vancity was sure to find it...gossipy bitch that he is. ;)

Yeah, good times bad times. I think it all equals out, and there have been some amazingly good things happening that a meme doesn't really touch on. We'll see how it all plays.

Rachael: Your kid is due so close to Canada Day! That would be neat...

I'm glad things seem to be going well (first trimester over, hooray!) and I hope the rest of this experience is as fun and exciting as it can be.

Thanks for the positive thoughts.

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TOO MANY WORDS MIKE! TOO MANY! NOW I'M SHOUTING BECAUSE THEY MADE ME DIZZY! NOW MY BUTT ITCHES! LOOK WHAT YOU DID! MORE CAPS LOCK RANTING! GAS THE ORCAS! YAH!

Hey did you know Melissa has a huge crush on you? Like she has a "Mike Only" section in her photo album. The weird thing is that some of those pictures are obviously not taken with your consent if you catch my meaning... It bad news man. She also has a website. www.mycrushonthecan.edu.ca. At first I thought maybe she was actually crushing for a can of baked brown beans, or crushing said can of baked brown beans. But I was wrong. Irreversable damage to brainly wrong. Nobody want to see that.

Oh yeah I read something about you in the province last month...

11:11 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

damnit dereck, i told you not to tell him that...then i gave you a bunch of cupcakes...fucker.
and don't worry mike, his shrine to sean owen is much more disturbing

11:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man it only took you 17 minutes to find this post! That totally embarassing. Good thing I came back to check my spelling! Mwahaha! Stalker! Crazy stalker! Crazy! She will molest you if you drink with her! Beware!

12:50 AM  
Blogger Mel said...

actually, I have installed cameras in your apartment to watch everything you do...and in particular find out what these mysterious dork forums are that you post to...you'll need to bribe me in cupcakes to keep quiet!!!

12:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home