Tuesday, March 25, 2008

it's sunny and cold

Another long-overdue post...sometime I need to figure out a way to do these while on the subway or something.

It's been a pretty crazy time, the last few months. School continues unabated, and is continually challenging me. I'm a bit worn out these days, but I know this is good for me and I can see that I'm doing good work. Hopefully that will translate into some good prospects once I get out next year (yikes!) but we'll see.

Another friend of mine passed away totally unexpectedly in January, and I went home for about four days to go to the funeral. I think that any ideas I had about there being a sense of justice in the universe totally vanished that week. I really miss Alishia, and it hit her sister and her family really hard. I've found myself thinking about how when I was in town last summer she came out to meet me at a bar one night and we totally missed each other somehow. I didn't think very much of it, but that would have been the last time I saw her before she died, and now that seemingly small moment has a stronger significance. When I was back home for the funeral I tried to see as many people as I could.

In happier news, I'm currently working on a show that promises to be a lot of fun. It's taking place in a really small studio space so we're trying to eke out as much fun lighting as we can with a tiny (stone age) lighting system. I actually bought a piece of lighting equipment for this show, and I hope it was wise of me. I find it funny that my conceptual projects at school go upwards of 300 lights and the shows I'm doing in the real world have about 6. But I suppose they both work different design muscles, so that's a good thing.

Today I walked down the street without a jacket on! Of course, I was still pretty chilly, but it looks like spring is on the way at last. I really love springtime in NYC, before the thermometer bursts through the top in May-June. I bet today the park was packed with people, even though it's a weekday. Heh, and I just realised I wrote "the park" instead of "Central Park"...I guess I am becoming a New Yorker. Next I'll probably start referring to NYC as "the city," like it's the only real one.

Oh, and hey: I'm seeing someone! Totally unexpected, I wasn't really looking at the time, but she's great! She's smart, warm, beautiful....I'm pretty happy. If I may say so I'm pretty impressed that we can keep some form of dating life while both in grad school madness.

For the Vancouverites: I may be back in town in late June/early July to do a dance piece, which is exciting! The employment situation out here is pretty murky right now, so it may not happen if I suddenly get a good summer gig, but I'm looking forward to the prospect of visiting home again. I hope you guys are appreciating your beautiful city - NYC has many great things but Vancouver is pretty fantastic in its own right.

I guess that's it for now! I always promise more exciting updates, but you know how that goes...
maybe in less than 3 months next time, how's that sound?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home